What are the main facts about EWTN’s media network?
EWTN has television and radio channels, each offering programming 24 hours a day, and a network of websites.
There are nine separate television services (“feeds” or “streams”) with programming scheduled according to local time zones and some customisation of programmes themselves: (1) United States (2) Canada (3) United States – Spanish (4) South America and Spain (5 & 6) Europe – English on two satellites also covering the Middle East (7) Europe -German (8) Asia and the Pacific Rim (9) Africa and South Asia.
The feed to South America and Spain is in the Spanish language. Approximately 75% of Spanish language programming is produced in-house by EWTN. The remaining 25% originates from a variety of countries in South America as well as Spain.
Besides the nine distinct television feeds worldwide, EWTN offers two distinct radio feeds (English and Spanish) which are both available worldwide on the web and are rebroadcast to hundreds of millions of potential AM/FM and satellite radio listeners around the world.
EWTN’s shortwave radio station, WEWN, with its four 500 Kw. transmitters, reaches around the world. It offers three separate feeds: one service entirely in Spanish, reaching South America, and two services in English with distinct schedules, though the same programming.
The National Catholic Register (NCR) is the oldest Catholic newspaper in the United States (founded 1927) and was acquired by EWTN in 2011.
From 2011 to 2014 NCR has been voted “Best Catholic Newspaper” in the U.S.
In November 2011 EWTN launched “Register Radio” to bring the resources of NCR to a radio audience.
EWTN’s main and much-awarded website, www.ewtn.com, attracts many million page views every month.
In May 2005, the United States Library of Congress selected EWTN’s website for inclusion in the historic collection of internet materials related to the death of Pope John Paul II and the election of Pope Benedict XVI.
Among the website’s features is a Catholic “Question and Answer” section, where learned theologians answer e-mailed questions about the Faith.
Other services available on EWTN’s website include:
- Searchable digital library of Catholic documents: one of the largest collections of Catholic documents divided into 39 categories ranging from “Academic” and “Apologetics” to “Youth”. Access to more than 6,000 documents (including Papal Encyclicals, writings of the Saints and Church Fathers) has proved invaluable for students, seminarians, catechists, and all who wish to explore the Catholic heritage.
- Thousands of EWTN Television and Radio programmes are available on demand.
- Live streaming of EWTN’s Television and Radio.
- Live schedules for all EWTN’s Television and Radio services.
How many viewers and listeners does EWTN have?
We do not know how many viewers tune in to EWTN. The only way we can answer this is by stating in how many countries EWTN is down-linked by cable TV operators, IPTV, broadcast television stations, and “Direct Broadcast Satellite” (DBS) which is also referred to as “Direct to Home” (DTH) service. Our Cable TV, IPTV and DBS/DTH affiliates inform us of their subscriber numbers, so we know the numbers of households, that EWTN reaches.
As of January 2015 EWTN is available in 238 million households in more than 140 countries and territories worldwide. The shortwave radio station and satellite-delivered AM/FM radio network reach many millions more and this does not count those millions around the world who visit EWTN’s principal website www.ewtn.com or the network’s websites in other countries.